Article content continued
Mould needs three things to grow: a source of food, air and moisture. Remove one of those sources and you’ll curb the growth. If your mould growth isn’t related to a leaking or burst pipe, odds are good it’s a ventilation or humidity issue.
Make sure you’re running your exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom (or opening a window to promote ventilation) when you cook and bathe. Using a dehumidifier could help, and if you have a heat recovery ventilator (HRV), make sure it’s working properly — and leave it on at all times! It’s meant to constantly promote a healthy air exchange, so switching it off will mess with the balance of your home.
There are several ways to deal with radon, depending on the source of entry. If it’s from the soil under your home, you can install a device to your HRV that can detect high levels of radon in the home, and then trigger an air exchange, bringing in safe, healthy, treated air from the outdoors inside — and take the radon-infused air out. If your radon is coming from your well water, you can install a device right in the well that will aerate the water, stripping it of its harmful gases before it enters your home when you cook, clean and bathe.
When it comes to safely removing asbestos, here’s what I’m going to say: Don’t do it yourself. This is something that takes abatement professionals. Seriously — it’s something even I wouldn’t consider doing myself. Leave it to the experts.
To find out more about Mike Holmes, visit makeitright.ca.